Tetra Cube Aquarium Review – 3 Gallon Kit
This review is for the 3 gallon Tetra Cube Kit which is one of the most popular aquarium choices for novice betta owners looking to rescue their bettas from the dreaded fishbowl or vase. And for good reason too! This 3 gallon aquarium kit comes with pretty much everything you need to provide nice living quarters for your fishy, minus the fishy! Oh, and the price you pay for whats included is definitely a deal!
(at about the 42 second mark you’ll get a good idea about how big the 3 gallon cube aquarium is.)
Betta like cubes
There’s no denying that the design of this fish tank is strikingly elegant!
- There’s no denying that the design of this fish tank is strikingly elegant! While that sort of thing really doesn’t matter too much for your betta, elegant design is something to look for in a fish tank because it’s going to end up taking it’s own share in your home for some time. This aquarium stands out from the standard in a nice way!
- Sometimes aquariums can look small online or in the store, but then you get it home and find out that it takes up more space than you thought. This cube aquarium has what is called a small footprint. It has all of the space a 3 gallon fish tank provides in a seemingly small area in your room. It’s dimensions are almost a perfectly even 10 inches on all sides, with the exception that it’s 10.5 inches tall. To give you a better mental image of that, a basketball is 9.5 inches in diameter. So, if you were to fit a box around a basketball, the aquarium would be slightly larger than the box. Not by too very much though.
If you decide to place the tank on your desk or small table, be sure that whatever it is that you set it on can hold over 30lbs. The tank when it’s empty will not weigh 30lbs, but when you add water, plants and rocks to it it may. It’s best to choose the spot the betta tank will live on right the first time so you don’t have to wrestle around with the whole 30lbs+ over and over.
- This cube shaped aquarium kit comes with an LED tank light! That would be why they call it the Tetra LED Cube 3-Gallon Aquarium. Tank lights are something that you don’t really need, but who wouldn’t like to actually see their betta fish swimming around? This light is a clip-on style that has 9 built in LED’s, so it’s definitely bright enough. Be sure to provide your fish with a place to hide and get out of the light if he wants to. They have yet to invent betta sunglasses, I think…
They were kind enough to include an in-tank filter in this kit!
- They were kind enough to include an in-tank filter in this kit! The filter is a Tetra 3i aquarium filter alongside their Tetra whisper pump and works just fine for the novice betta owner’s needs. If setup properly, this filter can safely and quietly keep your fish tank clean while adding oxygen to the water at the same time. Please remember that having a filter is no substitute for regular water changes included with your general betta care!
While this filter will do just fine, you may end up wanting to try something different than the one included at a later time. As far as individual betta tank components are concerned, we really wouldn’t recommend this filter as something to buy on it’s own. Really the only reason for that is because there are alternative filters you can buy separately for the same price that you may prefer. This Tetra 3i filter and whisper pump is included in the kit’s price though, and you can’t beat that.
One last point about the filter, some people have noticed that the filter’s pump vibrates to such an extent that it irritates and stresses their betta. The pump is not built into the filter system, but rather separate and connected through aquarium tubing. This is a good thing. If you notice your aquarium is vibrating, move the pump assembly off of whatever surface your tank is sitting on. Vibrations travel. This includes vibrations traveling through a table or desk to your betta tank. Just move the pump, or devise a vibration dampener to place the pump on top of. Think towel.
- The lid has a really convenient feeding cutout in the back. While that may seem like a non-issue to someone that is just getting started caring for bettas, after many-many-many feedings the hole on top can be nice. The lid also fits quite snug to the tank. There are so very many tanks out there that have loose lids from the factory. One last thing about the lid, it’s a flush flat design. If you take a look at other aquarium’s and their lids you’ll notice that the majority have “hoods” that stick out on top. It comes down to personal preference in the end but, this betta owner really appreciates the flat design.
The 3 gallon size of this cube aquarium is just big enough for your betta have tank mates!
- The aquarium is constructed out of plastic, not glass. Being made out of plastic instead of glass has it’s obvious advantages, but also has a minor disadvantage. Plastic fish tanks are more prone to their share of scratches over time than their glass counterparts. All this means is that you take care not to brush up against the surface of the aquarium too often. But, this is a fish tank. Why would you want to brush up against it at all? Aside from that, when cleaning the inside walls of the betta tank, be sure to use only a very soft cloth or “made for plastic” cleaning sponge.
- The 3 gallon size of this cube aquarium is just big enough for your betta have tank mates! Nothing too large, or to many of anything mind you. A few small snails or some ghost shrimp should be more than fine. Sprucing up the aquarium with some live plants will be more than fine as well!
Maybe not so Betta
- Because this is a general type of fish tank kit and not a kit designed specifically for bettas, they didn’t include an aquarium heater. Purchasing an aquarium heater is a must. That is, unless you live in a climate that is a consistent 78f-80f year round without fail. Luckily, aquarium heaters for this size of a tank are relatively inexpensive.
- Again, at some point later on you may decide to purchase a new water pump for this fish tank. The general reviews for the filter that’s included are pretty much split down the middle. You are either going to love it, or not. That is really going to come down to personal preference and can really only be found out once you get it up and running. When you consider the filter as basically being included for the price of a stand alone 3 gallon aquarium, you aren’t really risking anything.
- One other really convenient thing about this cube aquarium is that the designers have included a cutout in the back that will fit most after market filters. So, should you decide that the included filter just isn’t up to snuff for you and your betta, upgrading to a new filter is not an issue at all.
So, what do you really think?
Honestly, overall this cube aquarium makes a fine home for a betta. There are strict guidelines that are followed before any product can be recommended here on this website. This betta tank fit those, and actually exceeded them in many areas! Considering that this is not a stand alone tank though, and comes with extras, this makes for a fine betta aquarium that’s pretty much ready to go out of the box!
If you have this tank, or are going to be getting one soon, get in touch with us over at our G+ profile and share a pic or two! They might even get posted on the website!
Honestly, overall this cube aquarium makes a fine home for a betta. There are strict guidelines that are followed before any product can be recommended here on this website. This betta tank fit those, and actually exceeded them in many areas! Considering that this is not a stand alone tank though, and comes with extras, this makes for a fine betta aquarium that’s pretty much ready to go out of the box